[vorbis] New MP3 codec from FhG/Thomson

Marshall Eubanks tme at 21rst-century.com
Wed Jan 10 04:05:34 PST 2001

Kristoff Bonne wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Ross Levis wrote:
> > > Content encoded in mp3PRO can be played back in a traditional
> > > MP3 player but without the quality enhancement.
> > Any ideas as to how they can do that?  Maybe they encode half the frequency
> > spectrum (0-8khz) in the standard MP3 way @64kb/s and the other half is
> > stored somewhere else?
>
> I don't really know if this is a simular technique, but -on the website
> of DRM ('Digital Radio Mondial', a new system for digital radio
> broadcasting on frequencies below 30 Mhz), I found something called
> 'SBR': Spectal Band Replication.
> Apperently, DRM uses AAC -Advanced Audio Coding- (which is simular to
> MPEG, if I understand correctly) to encode the frequencies up-to 6
> Khz. SBR is used for the frequencies between 6.0 khz and 15.2 Khz.

AAC is the Dolby derived (& patented) audio standard for MPEG-4. I
really suspect that
the Fruanhofer institute will stay away from anything AAC related.

If I see  Leonardo Chiariglione today, I will ask him.

> The documenation doesn't say that much about SBR, except this:
> --- cut here --- cut here --- cut here ---
> SBR improves perceived audio quality by a technique of higher baseband
> frequency enhancement using information from the lower frequencies
> as cues.
> --- cut here --- cut here --- cut here ---
>
> Goto the website http://www.drm.org/, click on 'DRM: the system', and
> 'itu appendix B', see page 2 of the PDF-file.
>
> Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.
> --

                                   Regards
                                   Marshall Eubanks

   Multicast Technologies, Inc.
   10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 201
   Fairfax, Virginia 22030
   Phone : 703-293-9624          Fax     : 703-293-9609
   e-mail : tme at on-the-i.com     http://www.on-the-i.com