[vorbis] New MP3 codec from FhG/Thomson

Kristoff Bonne kristoff.bonne at skypro.be
Wed Jan 10 03:20:08 PST 2001

Greetings,

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Ross Levis wrote:
> > Content encoded in mp3PRO can be played back in a traditional
> > MP3 player but without the quality enhancement.
> Any ideas as to how they can do that?  Maybe they encode half the frequency
> spectrum (0-8khz) in the standard MP3 way @64kb/s and the other half is
> stored somewhere else?

I don't really know if this is a simular technique, but -on the website
of DRM ('Digital Radio Mondial', a new system for digital radio
broadcasting on frequencies below 30 Mhz), I found something called
'SBR': Spectal Band Replication.
Apperently, DRM uses AAC -Advanced Audio Coding- (which is simular to
MPEG, if I understand correctly) to encode the frequencies up-to 6
Khz. SBR is used for the frequencies between 6.0 khz and 15.2 Khz.

The documenation doesn't say that much about SBR, except this:
--- cut here --- cut here --- cut here ---
SBR improves perceived audio quality by a technique of higher baseband
frequency enhancement using information from the lower frequencies
as cues.
--- cut here --- cut here --- cut here ---

Goto the website http://www.drm.org/, click on 'DRM: the system', and
'itu appendix B', see page 2 of the PDF-file.

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

--
KB905-RIPE                                       Belgacom  IP networking
(c=be,a=rtt,p=belgacomgroup,s=Bonne,g=Kristoff)  Internet, IP and IP/VPN