[Speex-dev] VLC only sees a fraction of Speex wrapped in OGG

SellBuy Sammamish sellbuysam at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 11:18:14 PST 2015

Friends,

My name is Igor, I am new to this forum.

I have a peculiar problem with my OGG/Speex implementation: I encode a
short PCM stream in OGG/Speex, but the result can not be read by VLC and
MediaInfo <http://mediaarea.net/nn/MediaInfo> reports that the file is too
short (240ms). In reality the file contains about 2.7 sec worth of audio.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that the file *can* be read
successfully in Audacity. Yes, that is right, Audacity reads the file
perfectly fine whereas all other tools only play a short swoosh.

I am going to upload the files here: http://1drv.ms/1w7OPs6. The first one
(GoToServer-Igor.ogg) is the problematic one. The second one
(GoToServer_official.ogg) was generated using speexenc and plays just fine.
The third one (GoToServer1.wav) is the original source.

Questions:

   1. How do you guys typically go about debugging such issues?
   2. What OGG information is relevant to measuring the content length?
   3. Any clues as to how come VLC can't read the file but Audacity can?

Thank you so much.

Igor D.