[Speex-dev] Decoded output buffer size

Randy Yates yates at ieee.org
Wed Apr 14 05:37:51 PDT 2010

Daniele Barzotti <daniele.barzotti at eurocomtel.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> in a VoIP application, the endpoint A send speex payload to B.
> B doesn't know how A acquire audio, it only know that the channel is
> narrowband so, how can B know the size of the output buffer to pass to
> the speex_decode()?

Usually a buffer is one frame of data, and a frame is 20 milliseconds.
Since the sample rate is typically 8 kHz in narrowband mode, this
corresponds to a buffer size of 160 samples.

--Randy

> Thanks,
> Daniele.

Randy Yates                      % "She's sweet on Wagner-I think she'd die for Beethoven.
Digital Signal Labs              %  She love the way Puccini lays down a tune, and
mailto://yates@ieee.org          %  Verdi's always creepin' from her room."
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com % "Rockaria", *A New World Record*, ELO