[Speex-dev] jspeex distortion playback issue

Stephen Quinn Stephen_Quinn at skillsoft.com
Fri Oct 2 04:17:42 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm having a playback issue I can't eliminate.

I'm encoding 16khz mono WAV files (voiceover recordings) to speex using
a quality setting of 4.

In any standalone speex player e.g. winamp or using speex frontend etc.
the files play fine, but in a jspeex environment there's a subtle high
pitched beeping type distortion, mostly on the transients.

The sound is similar to digital sync/clock problems, when connecting
digital audio interfaces.

I've tried many process prior to encoding to eradicate the issue, but
nothing works.

However, if I encode the audio to speex using a quality setting of 5,
the issue disappears.

My problem is, for filesize considerations, I need to use the quality
setting of 4. And the audio must be played in a java environment.

Thanks,

Stephen