[Speex-dev] RFC 5574 and multiple frames

Marian Kechlibar marian.kechlibar at circletech.net
Mon Nov 23 08:44:38 PST 2009

Hello all,

I am experimenting with Speex in a mobile VoIP application, and it seems
that it is worth stuffing more than one codec frame into a single RTP
packet; mainly, that sending several frames per packet relieves the
underlying network socket connection, which is notoriously problematic
in mobile devices.

RFC 5574 defines the exact way how to put multiple Speex frames into a
single RTP packet, and how to extract them again. However, the frame
boundaries are not on octet boundaries, and I am quite confused on how
to actually format the RTP payload from multiple frames.

Does the current code of speex contain an utility which would package
multiple Speex frames into a block according to RFC 5574, and extract
them again? Or do I have to write this packing/unpacking code myself? I
tried some searching, but no I found no reference implementation of the
formatting...

BR,

Marian Kechlibar