[Speex-dev] MKL Patch

Alexander Chemeris Alexander.Chemeris at sipez.com
Tue May 27 21:04:37 PDT 2008

On 5/28/08, Jean-Marc Valin <jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca> wrote:
> > Yes, MKL is commercial software and you do need to pay for it, but
>  > unlike FFTW it's not GPL. FFTW is useless for any closed-source program
>  > that wishes to use Speex, so this is the non-GPL alternative.
>
> Considering that FFTW also sells licenses for non-GPL use, I tend to
>  prefer the FFTW licensing over MKL. Note that GPL doesn't mean
>  non-commercial. When RedHat sells a Linux CD, it's commercial although
>  there's lots of GPL software included. In any case, since there's
>  probably people who want MKL, I'll probably merge that too after I can
>  have a look at it.

Don't compare apples with oranges. Distribution of commercial software
and commercial distribution of free sofware aren't the same. And I think
it is no doubt that most commercial software have closed sourced, and
that GPL and closed sources are not compatible. :)

PS This is not to blame you, just to keep things clean. I hate when such
things are messed. And thanks to you for kind accceptance of all these
kinds of patches.

--
Regards,
Alexander Chemeris.