[Speex-dev] Speex realtime encoding/decoding "Real world" usage for Windows Mobile / Symbian device

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Thu May 22 16:02:40 PDT 2008

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) a écrit :
> However, AMR it's not royalty free and if i need to use it on Windows
> Mobile i will need to pay a quite expensive royalty for each peace of
> software distributed (not sold, distributed!!!).

This is exactly why I wrote Speex!

> So, i am evaluating other codes and the only real alternative capable of
> running on a 9.6kb/s link seems to be speex.

Correct.

> Now, i discussed with several embedded VoIP implementators and some said
> that Speex simply does not work on mobile devices.

There's nothing magic about "mobile devices". Either the CPU is powerful
enough or it isn't.

> I got the feedback that Speex require too much computation power to run
> on Symbian OS and Windows Mobile devices doing encoding/decoding in
> realtime with all the Narrowband-enabled features.
>
> I crawled the mailing list archive and the internet and i was not able
> to find out a precise answer to my doubt.

I remember several mentions on the mailing list of Speex running on
Symbian and WinCE.

> I would like to ask for REAL WORLD experience in using Speex for
> encoding/decoding in realtime voice streams on mobile devices.

...as opposed to people with FAKE WORLD experience? ;-)

> Does exists a Symbian OS product doing encoding/decoding in realtime
> with speex?
> Does exists a Windows Mobile product doing encoding/decoding in realtime
> with speex?
> Does anyone had real world experience with such kind of codec?

Well, I know people who've used it on Symbian/ARM, TI C5X/C6X and I've
personally ported it to the Blackfin DSP. It even runs on music players
now with Rockbox and I've seen wifi phones that support it.

> If not i understand that the speex code it's still not mature enough for
> Mobile environment VoIP and audio streaming.

You are free to understand what you like.