[Speex-dev] Plain Speex, or GStreamer?

Joshua Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Mon May 5 18:14:19 PDT 2008

I wasn't able to find anything in the list archives, please forgive me
if this question has been asked before...

Our app needs to support multiple media types, so GStreamer would seem
to be the obvious choice.  However, voice quality is paramount for
us.  Are there any disadvantages to using the Speex plugin for
GStreamer as opposed to directly coding to the Speex API?  In
particular, does the GStreamer element fully support the echo-
cancellation and jitter-buffer features of Speex?  Are there any other
pitfalls that a naive developer (and new to both APIs) should be aware
of?

Many thanks,
Josh