[Speex-dev] Re: SPEEX Code parallelization

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Thu Sep 27 16:26:43 PDT 2007

Hi,

> I am a computer engineer working in Indra Sistemas (Spain) for R&D
> programs and I was thinking about introducing parallel code to an
> audio CODEC source code (OpenMP/MPI libraries). I have taken a look
> to the speex-1.0.5, and I was wondering if you could tell me whether
> the code is possible to parallelize (I mean if it is not sequencial
> processing).

There is some parallelism in Speex, but it's mainly on short operations.
In general I don't think it's really worth parallelising Speex because
when people want Speex to run faster, generally all they want is to
encode more channels in real-time (not run a single channel 200x faster
than real-time). For that, you just take the embarrassingly parallel
approach and just run more channels at the same time.

As for the versions, I would recommend using 1.2beta2, which is
significantly better than 1.0.5.