[Speex-dev] Fwd: Best encoding settings

Stas Oskin stas.oskin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 08:36:09 PDT 2007

NOTE: Sorry for double-posting, i accidentally sent an email via Gmail
combination.

Hi.

I'm looking for best encoding settings for voice recording, in order to
switch from OGG to Speex.

The input file is 60 seconds wave file, in size of 1293KB.

I started with the default settings, and speexenc produced for me a result
file in size of 159KB, which is even larger then what OGG produces (140KB).

Then I tried with quality parameter set on 3, and the result was at 86KB.
Afterwards I tried with quality parameter set on 3 and with wideband
enabled, and got 54KB.

Problem is, that with the above settings it's quite difficult to understand
the spoken voices.

I would like to know, what are the recommended encoding settings, which
produce the best disk space / voice clarity ratio?

Thanks in advance,
Stas.