[Speex-dev] Audio Speed Variability

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Thu Oct 4 16:27:51 PDT 2007

I don't know about the input side; I have personally only experienced being
bitten by the output resampler.  But it seems like a safe assumption that
yes, the input side is equally broken.

Any resampling code found on the 'net should be suitable as long as it
sounds good, doesn't take too much CPU, and is compatible with your
product's licensing/distribution terms.  There are quite a few options out
there, but I haven't investigated any of them.  It's probably reasonable to
replicate the sample points yourself and run the result through an FIR or
IIR low-pass filter kernel that's hardwired to bandlimit the resulting data
for the rate your codec uses.  E.g., 16000 Hz to 44100 Hz would involve
making two or three copies of each sample point as necessary, then running
an FIR or IIR filter calculated for 0.36 Nyquist.

If you have only one input and one output stream to deal with, both with
fixed rates, it's hard to find a resampler that *won't* work.

-- john