[Speex-dev] AMR vs Speex on wireless networks.

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Sat May 5 07:50:44 PDT 2007

Hi marzullo,

Can't say much about AMR (I'm assuming -NB?) because I don't know it
enough. As you may know, Speex was originally designed with packet loss
in mind, but not bit errors. That being said, it should be able to
tolerate errors -- at least for some of the bits. The code isn't there,
but assuming you know roughly where the errors are, it shouldn't be too
hard to make use of the corrupted frames. For instance, I would tend to
use a strategy like:
1) If the LSPs contain an error, reuse last frame's error
2) If the open-loop gain has an error, reuse last frame's error
3) Same for pitch, though maybe with a bit of damping
4) Use the fixed codebook no matter what.
That being said, are corrupted packets that common?
Hope this helps,

	Jean-Marc