[Speex-dev] How Can I Get involved in Speex Fixed-PointDevelopment?

Jim Crichton jim.crichton at comcast.net
Thu Jul 19 06:54:14 PDT 2007

There is a port for the TI C55X, in the TI directory of the source tree.  This builds and runs directly on the TI C55x simulator (Code Composer).  I have run this on the Spectrum Digital C5509A EVMPLUS board, by modifying some of the sample audio drivers (I could provide some details if you chose that board).  You can certainly get started in the simulator.

The Speex port does not include any assembly optimization for TI, so that is an area that you might be interested in.  If you are considering the Speex echo canceller, that could greatly benefit from a TI-optimized FFT.  I have not used the preprocessor myself.

You should plan on providing external memory for your DSP if you are doing more than the basic codec.  Speex runs fairly efficiently in C on TI DSPs, but it has a big footprint.

I hope this in helpful in getting started with the DSP target.  I will defer to Jean-Marc on how to contribute to the project.

Regards,

Jim Crichton