[Speex-dev] Integer Version with low bit rate for Linux Kernel?

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Fri Jan 26 01:59:33 PST 2007

MOENCH, EGON - PFHO wrote:

> In order to do the transcoding in user space, I have to transfer the voice
> paket received from VOIP-equipment within kernel to user space, transcode
> it, send it back to the kernel, send it over the radio link,

Have you measured the time taken to transfer a data packet from kernel to
user space? Have you measured the time taken to encode that packet? What
are those measurements?

If you haven't performed those measurements, putting the Speex encoder
in the kernel is probably a pointless exercise because I would be very
surprised if the packet encoding time is less than 100 times greater
than the time to transfer the packet from kernel to user space.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo