[Speex-dev] AEC gets worse as sample rate increases

Mihai Balea mihai at hates.ms
Mon Dec 10 11:44:43 PST 2007

Hi all,

I am attempting to test AEC behavior at various sample rates.

I ran a little experiment: I recorded a 10 seconds voice clip and the
resampled at 8000, 11025, 16000, 22050, 24000, 32000, 44100 and 48000.
I have a small applications that plays a wave file, records whatever
comes in from the microphone and applies the Speex AEC and
preprocessor on the input.  It then saves the raw input as well as
the processed audio to different wave files.  The EC is set up with a
tail of about 200 ms and the EC sample rate is also set via the
speex_echo_ctl intreface.  I am also hooking up the EC to the
preprocessor for additional echo reduction.

What I observed is that 8K and 11.025K work very well, but the
quality of the AEC degrades as the sample rate goes up.

I am wondering if this behavior is normal.  Has anybody tried to run
the speex AEC at a rate different than 8K? Is there something I
should be aware of?

Thanks,
Mihai