[Speex-dev] Help on Speex VBR mode

Sat Feb 18 05:28:00 PST 2006

There's no doc about vbr.c except the few comments in the code. The
general idea is that there are lots of heuristics (e.g. voiced sounds
need more bits, near-silence requires less, ...) that give a certain
number of "points" for the current frame. Based on this, I have a table
to convert from "points" to bit-rate for a given vbr quality setting.
That being said, the VBR code could definitely be improved.

	Jean-Marc