[Speex-dev] Speex at ARM Devices (Symbian OS)

Christophe Augier christophe.augier at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 02:20:46 PST 2006

> > The basic question we ask is whether current mobile devices can compress
> > and decompress voice data in realtime ...
>
> Depends on the CPU. With minimal complexity, the lowest speed for
> real-time is about 100 MHz for a slow ARM core.

what are you calling slow ARM core? I experimented voip with alaw and
µlaw on the ti omap 5912 board running at 192MHz and it basically
sucks 80% of the cpu. As for speex i couldn't make it run correctly. I
used gstreamer, so if you tell me you get good results on this kind of
board with these codecs, maybe i have a major overhead in gstreamer
which is something to investigate.

I would appreciate if you could give me some insight.

- Christophe