[Speex-dev] SpeexJitter and TCP/IP

Tue Oct 25 05:05:29 PDT 2005

> I am still trying to clean the voice after procesing it with speex echo
> cancellation filter.
> I get some artifacts, the echo is removed, but you can here some metallic
> voices in background.

That's a known problem with the method I'm using. It's not easy to
improve (it's still an active research topic).

> Jean, in your test client you are using UDP connection and SpeexJitter to
> make sure UDP packets are in order. What if I use TCP/IP, do I still have
> to use SpeexJitter when using speex_echo_cancel ?

Yes and no. You don't need the jitter buffer to compensate for packet
losses or out-of-order. However, you'll have to compensate for the fact
that both ends probably don't sample at the same time (the jitter buffer
could do it for you). That being said, TCP for VoIP is a **BAD** idea.