[Speex-dev] Optimized Codecs for Blackfin DSP

Thu Mar 24 08:13:17 PST 2005

OK, I think I should clear up a couple things here. The first paragraph
of the open-source definition is:

"The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away
the software as a component of an aggregate software distribution
containing programs from several different sources. The license shall
not require a royalty or other fee for such sale."

Clearly, if I start giving away software that has patents, someone will
come after me for royalties. And I know you can probably write a G.729
implementation from scratch and give the source away at no cost, but it
still won't be open-source. There's more to open-source than merely have
the source available at no cost. It's for a similar reason that iLBC is
not open-source despite making the source available available free of
charge.

	Jean-Marc

--
Jean-Marc Valin <Jean-Marc.Valin at USherbrooke.ca>
Université de Sherbrooke