[Speex-dev] Behavior of Speex VAD algorithm

Meir Yeshurun mt_yeshurun at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 19 20:56:20 PST 2005

Hi everyone!

I have two questions regarding the Speex VAD mechanism:

1) I noticed a delay of about 0.4 seconds in recognizing the end of speech
(the point where there is a transition from speech to silence). Is there
some way to prevent this delay?

2) When the recording immediately starts with voice rather than silence,
Speex is confused for a few seconds, and usually only recovers after the
first interval of speech ends. Is there someway to prevent this problem? I
thought of prefixing each stream with a short recording of silence. Is there
a better way?

Thanks for your help!