[Speex-dev] Experimental psycho-acoustic model

Thorvald Natvig speex at natvig.com
Sat Dec 31 01:53:05 PST 2005

> Hi everyone,
>
> For those who like to play with experimental stuff, I've got something
> new to test. If you compile with --enable-vorbis-psy , Speex uses a
> variant of the Vorbis psycho-acoustic model to shape the coding noise.
> So far, I've obtained a slight increase in quality, but I'm interested
> in feedback from others. This still needs a lot of tuning and has
> received only a minimal amount of testing, so don't use it for something
> important.

When enabling and compiling this with mingw on Win32, my debugger
complains about heap overruns when calling speex_encoder_destroy(). This
could be a mingw issue though, as I also found a stackalignment bug which
prevents me from _USING_SSE (apparantly -mpreferred-stack-size is just
"prefered" and therefore ignored... *Sigh*).

But, before that point, there seems to be.. well.. I seem to think it's
better, but that could be just because I expect it to be better.

If the heap problem can be fixed, I can ninja-include this in the next
version of Mumble and then poll users' opinions :)