[Speex-dev] tgAudioCodec.zip

Tom Grandgent tgrand at canvaslink.com
Tue Apr 26 05:51:51 PDT 2005

I have (finally) posted my Speex wrapper classes.  They are at:
http://www.grandgent.com/spx/tgAudioCodec.zip

I followed your recommendations and they worked fine with 1.1.0.
However, I'm still having the same problem with 1.1.7 that I had the
last time I tried to upgrade.  I'm using the same code with both versions,
except for calling speex_encode_int instead of speex_encode, and passing
ints to speex_preprocess instead of floats.

What happens is that the encoder gets into a bad state and everything
sounds garbled after that point.  I can restart the decoder, disable
the preprocessor, and the problem still exists, so I think the problem
is related to the encoder.  This problem might happen 2 minutes into a
stream or an hour, it seems random, but it's happened 3 times in about
2-3 hours of testing, on both a 900MHz Athlon and a 2.8GHz P4.

This time, I've saved the decoder's output.  I'm hoping that if you
listen to it, you might have some idea of the problem.  It sounds like
the low half of the frequency spectrum is somewhat ok, but the high half
is totally messed up, getting 'frozen' on these weird sounds.  (I'm using
wideband 16kHz only.  VBR quality 6, not using Speex's VAD or DTX.)

You can hear the audio go from good to bad at 9 seconds into this clip.
At 32 seconds, I turn off the preprocessor and you can hear the weird
sounds still occurring.  Note that the loud noise is the background noise
always present on that PC.  The Speex denoiser does an amazing job. :)

I've made the audio clip available as WAV (1.4MB), OGG (211KB),
and SPX (75KB).  They all sound pretty much the same:

http://www.grandgent.com/spx/badenc.wav
http://www.grandgent.com/spx/badenc.ogg
http://www.grandgent.com/spx/badenc.spx

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Tom