[Speex-dev] pre-processing for audio quality

KC Lee kuochun at comcast.net
Thu Apr 14 23:08:54 PDT 2005

We are using Speex as our major codec for voice application. We like
the Speex solution so far. Currently,
We have tried to compare voice quality between different
public available VOIP solutions such as Skype and others.
We notice Skype use higher CPU for signal processing. Is it
because of this extra work the audio quality sounds clear?
(Sometimes, it sounds like the audio signal is not real.
It sounds like Dolby-effect has been added.)

We are wondering whether we need to preprocess the audio
signal before it gets into Speex codec.

    Any comment is appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

kc