[Speex-dev] Speex split across processors?

Paul Fagerburg crimethinker at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 19:03:28 PDT 2005

Well, it's an ARM7TDMI core, so basically one register operation per
clock, with memory accesses taking longer.  Having the memory on-chip
should make memory access much less of an impact.

I was afraid that you would answer the way you did: I thought about my
question after I sent it, and the "LP" in CELP is what makes it a
sequential process; it can't do linear prediction on a frame that the
other processor is encoding.

I'm looking at a specific set of parameters, probably 6kbps without
VAD.  It doesn't have to sound great, just understandable.  Being able
to recognize the person's voice on the other end is also a
requirement.  Some of the very low bitrate codecs like 2.4kbps sound
more like a speech synthesizer than the actual speaker's voice; this
won't be acceptable.

I have some restrictions on the chip I'm able to use; I'd like to use
a single-chip micro instead of, e.g. a StrongARM with support logic
and external memory.  I also believe that StrongARM is available
mostly (entirely?) in BGA packages, which are impossible to
hand-solder.  I need hand-soldering, low cost, and low complexity.

I guess the only way to find out is to try it.  I'll make some time to
build a klunky framework around the code so I can ship speech down a
serial port, encode it, and get back the encoded data and time to
encode.  Assuming time to encode is less than time to playback, we've
got a winner.

-paul

--
"Oldcorps unbellyfeel doubleplusgood prolework."