[Speex-dev] Speex split across processors?

Paul Fagerburg crimethinker at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 08:44:56 PDT 2005

I am interested in using Speex in an embedded system built around an
ARM microcontroller.  I have seen other posts indicating that Speex
can run in real-time on some iPAQ PDA's, but these are using a
StrongARM 166MHz processor.  I'm looking more at the chips from Atmel
(SAM7), Philips (LPC2xxx), and TI (TMS 470), which are ARM7TDMI with
on-chip SRAM and flash, running at speeds of 33 to 60MHz.

166 down to 60 is a big drop, but I'm hoping to gain performance due
to lack of wait states (no external memory), and the lack of any O/S
running to eat cycles; the chip will only be encoding Speex.

Still, it may not be enough.  Is it possible to parallelize the
encoding, i.e. have two micros, each encoding every other frame?  As
long as each micro could encode in 2x real-time or faster, the net
result would be a real-time encoding.

I appreciate any help this group can provide.

Thanks,

-paul

--
"Oldcorps unbellyfeel doubleplusgood prolework."