[Speex-dev] tgAudioCodec.zip

Mon Apr 4 08:40:50 PDT 2005

> 1) Supporting the various versions of Speex is a nuisance, mainly
> because there is no #define or API call to query the version.

It is possible to get the version using speex_lib_ctl(int request, void
*ptr). Possible requests are SPEEX_LIB_GET_MAJOR_VERSION,
SPEEX_LIB_GET_MINOR_VERSION, SPEEX_LIB_GET_MICRO_VERSION,
SPEEX_LIB_GET_EXTRA_VERSION, and SPEEX_LIB_GET_VERSION_STRING. Also,
what do you mean by version problems? The API hasn't changed at all for
the 1.0 branch. For 1.1.x, I'm added a few interfaces, but modified
1.0.x to stay compatible (while not breaking 1.0 compatibility).

> 2) My classes covered the basics of Speex and then some, but not
> every possible option or conceivable use.  When someone wanted to
> do something that wasn't supported, they emailed me expecting me
> to update the classes to fit their application.

Yeah, I've seen that here too ;-)

> 3) Almost all of people who emailed me about the classes were in
> a rush to get their projects working, were having problems, and had
> obviously not read the Speex documentation, the sample code, or the
> source code to my classes.  Often I was asked to fix bugs in their
> application code that had nothing to do with my classes or Speex.

Seen that too ;-)

> Sorry, but it's not worth the aggravation.

If you still intend to work on your wrapper, it would be nice to keep it
available for people who behave ;-) Perhaps removing your email address
or something.

>  If you want wrapper
> classes for Speex, I suggest you read the Speex documentation and
> sample code, then write them yourself.  Then you will (hopefully)
> understand Speex well enough to use it properly.  If you run into
> trouble, you can post your question politely and with enough detail
> to this list, and someone (perhaps myself) will try to help you.

Yes, this applies to question about libspeex as well!

Jean-Marc Valin <Jean-Marc.Valin at USherbrooke.ca>
Université de Sherbrooke