[Speex-dev] Encoding problem

Raheel Qutab raheel.qutab at nu.edu.pk
Fri Nov 5 08:15:05 PST 2004

I am using speex for encoding and decoding speech files in a speech
synthesis program. I am using concatenative approach for speech synthesis
using diphones (small speech chunks) as basic unit.

Now in my application, the order of diphones to be joined after decoding is
determined at runtime.
Therefore I have to encode each diphone independent of others.

I find out that when I encode diphones  in order of their concatenation with
out reinitializing the encoder for each diphone
enc_state = speex_encoder_init(&speex_wb_mode);
After decoding and concatenation it worked fine.
If the order is not maintained concatenated wave output is not as clear as
when maintaining the order. The problem is traced at the joining point of
those diphones.

However when I encode diphones after reinitializing encoder for each
diphone, there is a small silence region at joining point of every two
adjacent diphones.

It seemed that some sort of smoothening is applied at the encoding time
between two frames

How can I get rid of that silence region at joining point of diphones.

I need help for the above mentioned problem.

Regards
Raheel Qutab