[speex-dev] Compression for audiobooks

Wed May 12 15:08:00 PDT 2004

> I'm starting a company in Brazil that makes audiobooks in portuguese and sells
> them thru the internet. I need a good compression solution for my downloadable
> audiobooks and Id like to receive information about settings for speex that I
> may use in order to keep the audio files small but good enough for cd burning.

Well, I think a good place to start would be the samples page:
http://www.speex.org/audio/samples/
That'll give you an idea of what's available in terms of
quality/bitrate. Then you'll have to decide what suitable for you. I
guess the first think would be to decide whether you want to encode at 8
kHz or 16 kHz sampling rate. Then you can choose the bit-rate. For
narrowband (8 kHz), I usually recommend somewhere between 8 and 15 kbps,
while for wideband (16 kHz), I tend recommend between 12 and 28 kbps.
Usually, it's also a good thing to use VBR.

Jean-Marc Valin
http://www.xiph.org/~jm/
LABORIUS