[speex-dev] Difference in Encoding of files on Pocket PC vis-à-vis desktop

Asheesh Vashishtha asheesh.vashishtha at grapecity.com
Mon May 24 06:52:22 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I've  created a Speex decoder for Pocket PC so that I can play Speex files from within my .NET CF app.
But there has been a problem while playing the files on my Pocket PC.

I encode a wav file on the desktop using Speexenc.exe (Speex- 1.1.5) and then copy this file to my Pocket PC where
I playback using my decoder library. But the sound quality is extremely poor and completely broken.

I can't make a word out of the encoded speex file. However, if I encode the Speex file using the code
on my iPAQ and playback the same file using the decoder library, I get a pretty decent sound.

My approach is to simply bundle the encoded speex files with my application since I only need to use
the decoding part, and play back the output to the device but somehow the 2 files sound so different.

Is there some difference with a wav file encoded on the desktop to that on the Pocket PC?
Can't I use the wav file encoded on the desktop directly with my Pocket PC decoder?

I'd really appreciate if anyone could shed some light on this.

Thanks & regards,
Asheesh