[speex-dev] speex preprocess redux

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Mon May 17 15:40:19 PDT 2004

Tom Harper wrote:

> Hi All & Jean Marc,
>
> Once again I find myself delving into the pre-processing code to fiddle
> with the VAD, AGC and denoising code.
>
> Where i am at is that I have implemented all of Steve Kann's mods, and
> they are 90% of the way there in terms of working, except that I am still
> having issues denoising open air mics.  But that is tangential to my
> question-
>
> I was wondering what the following function is supposed to be used for:
> speex_preprocess_estimate_update(....)
>
> I couldn't find anywhere in the code that references it- it appears to
> update
> the noise estimate without denoising anything- ?  If so, does this
> need to
> be called for AGC to work, or?

I've found the denoiser to work very well on open-air microphones.

solution for is that sometimes the denoiser is incorrectly detecting
speech as noise.  This happens when a speaker speaks for a while, and
the denoiser tries to remove their intonation (i.e. the sound of their
voicebox; the vowels).  The result is that towards the ends of
sentences, their voice gets "thinned" out.

I'd like to find out how to "slow down" the rate of adaptation within
the denoiser to make this less likely to happen.  I assume that the
tradeoff is that it will adapt more slowly to changing noise patterns
(or initial noise).  I'm just not sure where to do that; maybe if I had
the "Cohen Paper" it would help :)

-SteveK