[speex-dev] Complexity vs BitRate

Tom Harper tharper at sightspeed.com
Thu May 6 22:24:57 PDT 2004

Jean Marc,

So assuming the quality setting was set as high as possible,
and the audio stream was 8000 hz, 16 bit mono, I have two follow
up questions:

1. Does the complexity setting override the quality setting, or does
increasing the complexity only lower the rate at a given quality?
Or would setting both higher increase the quality more?

2. What sort of impact would setting quality as high as
possible have on the data rate?  Is there a theoretical upper bound
on the VBR data rate (assuming no ABR average rate was set?).

Thanks!

Tom

Tom Harper - tharper at sightspeed.com
Lead Software Engineer
SightSpeed - A Roda Group Affiliated Company

918 Parker St, Suite A14
Berkeley, CA 94710

Phone: 510.665.2920
Cell: 415.378.3779