[speex-dev] vorbiscomments in speexenc

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Wed May 5 08:01:04 PDT 2004

Hi,

The Speex reference refers to the Vorbis comment format to define the
comment header:

  http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html

However, speexenc violates that format in a couple of ways:

        1. it doesn't append a "framing bit" to the end of the
        comments packet. According to the Vorbis comment spec,
        an ERROR must be flagged when decoding such a packet.

        2. it explicitly allows comments which are not of the
        form name=value, and even provides a commandline option
        for adding them.

As trivial as these differences are, they make it difficult to write code
that tries to follow the Vorbis comment spec properly when dealing with
random speex and vorbis files.

If you want a patch, I'll write it as soon as I get back from my
lobotomy -- I've just spent way too long writing test suites for managing
vorbiscomments, and I'll be glad if i never need to think about this stuff
after a week from now :).

Conrad.

--
<kfish> yeah, text processing is fucking tedious. It's like audio coding
with all the fun bits taken out.