[speex-dev] Speex bitrate

Sat Mar 20 12:15:40 PST 2004

Le ven 19/03/2004 à 09:35, miguel.gomes a écrit :
> I'm using speex to encode wav files. How does the --bitrate n option (use bit-rate n or lower) afects the quality and time of the encoding?
> If I don't use that option how speex determines the bitrate to use in encoding?

the --bitrate is directly related to --quality (both control the same
thing in a different way), so of course, the lower the bit-rate, the
lower the quality. As for encoding time, the rule of thumb is that it
increase with the bit-rate, but there are exceptions (4 kbps takes
longer than 8 kbps).

Jean-Marc Valin
http://www.xiph.org/~jm/
LABORIUS