[speex-dev] API changes for Speex 1.2

Tue Mar 16 23:23:38 PST 2004

Hi,

Speex is progressing and I've started thinking about the next 1.2
release (don't hold your breath). Though the bit-stream won't change,
the API likely will. The API for 1.1.x already differs from 1.0.x
because the speex_encode and speex_decode now use shorts instead of
floats. Now, since I'm changing the API anyway, I thought I might as
well fix things that might be annoying with the current API.

So, I'm open to suggestions from people who have used Speex before and
think some things should be changed. These are a couple things I'm
already considering:
- allow the user to provide his own buffer for the *init() functions
(instead of having Speex itself call malloc)
- allow the user to override the internal stack used by the encoder and
decoder (saves memory when using a large number of encoder/decoder
states)

Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A., ing. jr.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)