[speex-dev] SPEEX_GET_QUALITY not working?

Wed Mar 31 11:15:44 PST 2004

> 1) I was interested in fetching the default quality setting
> fornarrowband:
> speex_encoder_ctl(_encodeState, SPEEX_GET_QUALITY, &value);
> Unfortunately, the above fails with libspeex 1.1.4.  The console
> shows:
> warning: Unknown nb_ctl request:  5

Actually, I never implemented SPEEX_GET_QUALITY. It's not that usefule
anyway, but I might do it in the future.

> 2) Let's say I wish to encode some data.  Speex can tell me
> theuncompressed frame size (for narrowband, 160 * sizeof(short)),
> butwhat about the size of the compressed data?  If I'm not using VBR,
> Iassume that size is going to be constant, yes?  But is there a way
> forSpeex to tell me what that value is before I begin encoding?

Use speex_mode_query with SPEEX_SUBMODE_BITS_PER_FRAME
You need to pass the submode number with the pointer and the number of
bits per frame is returned using the same pointer. Note that with
speex_mode_query, the first argument is the mode (e.g. &speex_nb_mode),
not the encoder/decoder state.

Jean-Marc Valin