[speex-dev] Integrate Speex into VOCAL

Wed Jan 14 11:10:08 PST 2004

> I'm about to try to integrate SPEEX into the VOCAL project.

Good. Just a detail, but the correct spelling in "Speex".

> 1)  To encode, it appears I need an array of floats.  If
> I am playing wav files, what is the best way to turn these
> into something speex can encode?

Speex version 1.0.x (stable) expects float's in the -32768 to +32767
range, so it's just a matter of simple short to float conversion. The
current development version is 1.1.x (will lead to stable version 1.2)
and in that version, the input and output are directly short's. It
depends on which version you want to support (though supporting both
wouldn't be really hard).

> 2)  Are there any commercially available SIP phones that support
> Speex?

No hardware phone that I know of (though there might be), but I at least
a commercial SIP soft-phone called tkphone
(http://www.thekompany.com/products/tkphone/). I don't know whether it's
compilant with the IETF Speex draft. Also with the fixed-point port
that's progressing, we may be closer to a hardware phone.

> 3)  Any suggested SIP soft-phones that support Speex?

There's OpenH323 and all the derived phones (ohphone, gnomemeeting,
...). There's also a SIP phone called Linphone (http://www.linphone.org)
which is at least compliant with the first draft of the RTP profile
(don't know at the second one). I'd guess there are probably others. If
you're working with SIP, I suggest you test for interoperability with
Linphone.

Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A., ing. jr.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)