[speex-dev] Integrate Speex into VOCAL

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Jan 14 11:51:29 PST 2004

Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
>>I'm about to try to integrate SPEEX into the VOCAL project.
>

> Good. Just a detail, but the correct spelling in "Speex".
>

>>1)  To encode, it appears I need an array of floats.  If
>>I am playing wav files, what is the best way to turn these
>>into something speex can encode?
>

> Speex version 1.0.x (stable) expects float's in the -32768 to +32767
> range, so it's just a matter of simple short to float conversion. The
> current development version is 1.1.x (will lead to stable version 1.2)
> and in that version, the input and output are directly short's. It
> depends on which version you want to support (though supporting both
> wouldn't be really hard).

Will do stable first, and I agree it will be easy to support both when
1.2 is stable.

So, the floats are basically PCM, eh?  For VOCAL's g.711 codec
I've been pre-converting files to 8-bit pcm at 8000hz with sox.  So I
can just not down-sample the wave files so badly, and let Speex
use the 16-bit pcm values converted to floats?

I'll dig into the RTP rfc and see how that goes.

Thanks!
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>