[Speex-dev] Strange speex behaviour

Jonas Tärnström njt at home.se
Wed Dec 29 02:42:09 PST 2004

Hi,
After trying to use the prebuilt Windows 1.1.6 binaries I've founded
that the DLL version doesn't export the mode variables properly, this
could probably easily be fixed.

Anyways, as for now I've downloaded the 1.1.6 source and built it myself
and I'm linking speex statically to my application.

I've written an experimental software which just packs 20 ms frames and
sends them to a peer.

Speex setup:
Wide band, Quality=3, Complexity=3, SampleRate=16000, BitRate=38400,
AvgBitRate=38400, ENH=false, VAD=true, DTX=false, DENOISE=true,
VBR=false, AGC=true, AGCLevel=16000.

Using a peer to peer setup the sound from my peer get corrupted in a
very strange way, he sound (my debug friend) sounds like a hiss, it's
just like if you would cut out everything that makes sound to speak and
keep the rest.

This doesn't happen with my sound sent to him.
Looking at a 44100/16 sample of his sound I've found that he has a
pretty strong noise at 50 Hz.

What can I do about this?

//Regard Jonas Tärnström