[Speex-dev] DTX fail to work?

Tay YueWeng yueweng at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 29 02:15:50 PST 2004

Dear all,

I am using version 1.0.4 speex in win32.  The data
from the sound card is 16bit PCM with 8000 samples per
second.  I try to enable variable bit rate(VBR),
discontinuous transmission, voice activity detection
so that so that there is no traffic if it is silence.

However, VBR seems to work but there is about
2kbytes~3kbytes per second of traffic eventhough I
have unplug the microphone.  I am wondering what other
parameter needs to be set in order to allow
discontinuous transmission.  The following is my
parameter that I have set.

tmp = 1;
speex_encoder_ctl(encoder_state, SPEEX_SET_VBR, &tmp);
tmp = 1;
speex_encoder_ctl(encoder_state, SPEEX_SET_DTX, &tmp);
tmp = 1;
speex_encoder_ctl(encoder_state, SPEEX_SET_VAD, &tmp);
mode = 1;
speex_encoder_ctl(encoder_state,
SPEEX_SET_VBR_QUALITY, &mode);

Thanks,