[speex-dev] Trouble putting VAD ON in Windows

Abhishek Parakh abhishekp at ee.iitm.ac.in
Tue Apr 27 00:14:27 PDT 2004

I have been trying to develop a dll for speex-1.1.4. But I am having problem
putting in the VAD feature. It seems that speex has put a very low threshold
for VAD activation. Even a blank audio file in windows contains int values
almost all greater than 10.

And VAD comes on only when the input buffer has values less than 3 for
wideband. Therefore any recorded file/input from mike never activates VAD in
windows. what can I do to overcome this difficulty?

One possible solution seems like dividing all the values in input buffer by a
suitable integer (this comes out to be atleast 190, found by trial n error).
This lowers even the required speech too much in volume, hence not a very
useful option.

Other alternative seems to set a threshold for division as well. If the input
buffer value is smaller than some threshold then divide else leave it as it
is. This again seems to be a trial n error method for deciding the threshold.

Hence, what other setting can be changed? Everything works fine in Linux but
windows gives problem. what can be done?

-Abhishek