[speex-dev] Speex and Jabber

Justin Karneges justin-psi at affinix.com
Fri Apr 23 12:08:15 PDT 2004

Greetings,

I hope this message is not too far off-topic.

I'm working with the Helix-Jabber project to create a standard for voice and
video with Jabber IM (http://jabber.org).  I've received numerous
recommendations about Speex, and so for our standard voice codec, I'm
wondering if it would be wise to choose Speex instead of GSM.  The codecs we
choose must be accessible to as many developers as possible.

Also, a major requirement is that the codec be available for use with RTSP
(RFC 2326).  This generally means being transmittable via RTP packets and
having a standard mime-type.  Has any effort been made in this direction?

Thanks,
-Justin