[speex-dev] project "Sphinx" kicked off

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at hermes.usherb.ca
Wed Jun 18 21:53:41 PDT 2003

> I've just kicked off project "Sphinx". Which is supposed to
> sound like "Speex" merged with "INT". ;) Meaning I am working
> on an integer encoder and decoder.

Good news! Although you might want to choose another name since "Sphinx"
is already used by CMU's open-source speech recognition engine
(http://fife.speech.cs.cmu.edu/sphinx/).

> It looks like I will be pulling in a new "integer plumbing"
> into the foundation of the codec, comparing the results with
> the old "floating point plumbing" along the way. Once the
> integer code works, I can tear down the old floating point
> code.  Pray this works ;)

Not sure what you mean here...

> Another option I've been thinking about is replacing
> all arithmetic operations (additions, multiplications, etc)
> with #define macros. So you would get an integer or floating
> point version depending on whether you use the int or the float
> macros. Even though this would be "cool", it is more difficult
> and error prone. I guess I'll use the previous option.

I think it's probably possible to do something like that. Although it
would likely be more complicated than just making macros for
add/multiply (there are various precision issues), the result would be
easier to maintain as the same change would affect both the float and
int version.

Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)