[speex-dev] --dtx alone does nothing?

David Willmore davidwillmore at iamanidiot.com
Wed Jan 15 13:59:05 PST 2003

> > One last thing. ;)  Is there much meaning to complexity values >3?  From
> > a quick scan of the code, it looks like there are >1 and >2 comparisons,
> > but not much more than that.  I want to run my test over all meaningful
> > values of complexity and it takes a long time to do a run...
>
> For voice, the difference between complexity 4 and 10 is very small
> (<0.1 dB in SNR). However, there are cases (e.g. DTMF and other tones)
> where there's still a quality gain past complexity 4.

Okay, so it does make a difference there.  Interesting.

Are all values of complexity meaningful or just a select few?  Is it like
--quality for narrow coding?

The test script is getting bigger and bigger. :)  I burned three CDs of
audio last night to listen to.  Now to head over to the stereo...

Oh, on a related note, my source material--Doug Stanhope/Die Laughing--
turns out *not to be copyrighted*.  There is no copyright notice on the
media nor on the CD case/liner notes.  As a matter of fact, it says:
"Put this CD on every music sharing site you can find.  Burn copies for your friends."

So, looks like it's a good source of material for testing. :)  Anyone
want a copy?  I can send someone with some web space a FLAC file if they
want to make it available to all speex people as a 'corpus'.  Never hurts
to have a common set of material to work with.  And, it's a good listen
if you are into horribly offensive comedians. :)

Cheers,
David