[speex-dev] Optimizing speex for 44.1kHz

John Hayes jhayes at thereinc.com
Fri Jan 10 11:39:05 PST 2003

I've been playing with speex for use in a VoIP application between PC's. One
thing I've found (correlating to the documentation) it that speex runs much
faster and produced much better output when it's fed a 32kHz signal instead
of a 44.1kHz sample rate. This is whether I tell it a 44.1kHz sample rate
and feed it 44.1kHz or tell it 32kHz and feed it 44.1kHz.

What part of the algorithm is optimized for 32kHz (my initial guess was the
codebooks and/or the codebook search) - would it be possible to modify it to
take a 44.1kHz signal?

I'm interested in avoiding the sample-rate conversion on record and playback
since it costs me latency and CPU time.

John