[speex-dev] Half-Life(First Person Shooter) is using Speex

David E. Weekly david at thereinc.com
Sun Aug 3 21:04:09 PDT 2003

Speex is also in rather popular use in the There public beta - I walked into
a "bar" last week and "hung out" with a group of a dozen or so people who
were not really using the keyboard that much - mainly they were telling
jokes, making comeons, and just generally coversing with voice. You should
check out our auto-animations to make avatars appear to speak and
gesticulate based on your voice...it's rather impressive.

And yes it *is* a Windows-only client, but our servers all run Linux. :)

http://www.there.com/

-david

PS: We use Vorbis for all of our sound effects in the game.