[speex-dev] patch for libspeex

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at hermes.usherb.ca
Sat Dec 14 15:04:08 PST 2002

> Using zsh's time function (gives real and user time - which are
> pretty similar on this unloaded machine). I've put my sample wave
> file at http://dagobah.ucc.asn.au/speextest/sample.wav if anybody
> wants to compare times.
>
> I'm curious now why my machine is slower - perhaps it's something
> about the way I've compiled it. (Compiles by default with -O2, and I
> can slice another .07 seconds off by compiling with -O999 :)

Maybe not everything got re-compiled and some parts were left with -g or
something? With the files you sent, I get (on my PIII 1 GHz, with -O3):
speexenc --comp 3 --quality 3 sample.wav sample.spx
0,65s user 0,00s system 100% cpu 0,647 total

trange...

> Thanks. I'm beginning to grasp it piece by piece. Currently looking
> at the codebook search - next culprit on the list as given by gprof
> (and OPTIMIZE :)

This part is a bit more obscure, but I think there's room for some
optimization there (mostly at higher --comp).

Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)