[speex-dev] patch for libspeex

Bernard Blackham b-speex at blackham.com.au
Fri Dec 13 23:08:53 PST 2002

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 01:46:19AM -0500, Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
> Thanks for the patch. I applied it and it give me up to 15% in speed.
> Doesn't seem to change the results, which is a good thing (though you
> originally forgot a "used=0" in vq_nbest_sign). I'll check a thing or
> two and I'll apply to CVS.

D'oh. My carelessness, sorry! :)

> Strange... on my PIII, encoding a 10 sec file with --comp 3 --quality 3
> takes less than a second (your patch is still a bit faster). How did you
> get these timings?

Using zsh's time function (gives real and user time - which are
pretty similar on this unloaded machine). I've put my sample wave
file at http://dagobah.ucc.asn.au/speextest/sample.wav if anybody
wants to compare times.

I'm curious now why my machine is slower - perhaps it's something
about the way I've compiled it. (Compiles by default with -O2, and I
can slice another .07 seconds off by compiling with -O999 :)

> Sending it to the list is a good idea I think. If you want to know what
> the code does... it's simply calculating the distance between an input
> vector and a list of vectors (codebook) and it returns the id's of the N
> closest (n-best) codebook vectors.

Thanks. I'm beginning to grasp it piece by piece. Currently looking
at the codebook search - next culprit on the list as given by gprof
(and OPTIMIZE :)

Cheers,

Bernard.

--