[speex-dev] patch for libspeex

Bernard Blackham b-speex at blackham.com.au
Sun Dec 15 04:30:20 PST 2002

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 06:04:08PM -0500, Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
> Maybe not everything got re-compiled and some parts were left with -g or
> something? With the files you sent, I get (on my PIII 1 GHz, with -O3):
> speexenc --comp 3 --quality 3 sample.wav sample.spx
> 0,65s user 0,00s system 100% cpu 0,647 total
>
> strange...

I'm recompiling the lot, no debugging, -O3 (or -O999). The packaged
speex1.0beta3 from debian runs in about the same time. I'll just
blame it on some weird quirk of my laptop. Thanks though.

> > at the codebook search - next culprit on the list as given by gprof
> > (and OPTIMIZE :)
>
> This part is a bit more obscure, but I think there's room for some
> optimization there (mostly at higher --comp).

I'm still trying to figure out how it all works. If and when I do
figure out some optimisations, I'll forward them your way.

In the meantime, I've discovered I can gain another 10% speed
increase by declaring vq_nbest and vq_best_sign as inline. (They get
called so frequently, they may as well be). :)

Regards,

Bernard

--
 Bernard Blackham