[opus] Opus implemented on ARM processor

David Nacarino d_nacarino at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 29 14:59:44 UTC 2018

Hello,
I’m currently using the Opus encoder in an embedded device with a small ARM Cortex M4, compressing audio in real time and it works great. My implementation is similar to the application note from Texas instrument “Implementing OPUS Voice Code for TM4C129x Device”.
The next step in my application is to add voice activation capability in real-time while compression is in progress. Reading through the Opus’s documentation, I noticed the implementation of a VAD component in the Opus library. I was wondering if someone could redirect me to relevant documentation (example code) to use the VAD feature.
The Opus library I currently use is libopus 1.1.2. I know in release libopus 1.3 the VAD was improved and I’m planning to migrate my code base to use version 1.3. I think the Opus audio format is invaluable compared to other audio formats that may require special licensing agreements that require fees to be paid increasing the cost of the system development for the education and hobbies communities.
I also believe with the wider adoption of the Opus codec in small ARM processors, it makes a good case for microcontroller applications to utilize the benefits of the codec especially in IoT applications where processing power and data storage is at a premium.
Thanks in advance for any help, definitely appreciate and looking to release examples of the Opus compression implemented on embedded devices to the community as soon as I have a stable application.

Regards,
David